Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Little Bit About Me


I think I’ve always been a visual artist, although it took a long time for me to know it. My favorite activity in kindergarten was painting at the easel; I remember longing for it to be my turn. My favorite crayon color back then was magenta. It had magic powers.  But school came, and grades came, and life came. Art became doodles on envelopes to be thrown away.

I should have known when I went to college. I took a class at Oberlin called “Revolution and Tradition in Modern Art” and felt like I was seeing everything differently – 180 degrees differently. The class was held in a large auditorium and every Monday and Wednesday at 11 I would sit in darkness in the light of amazing paintings and soak in the wonder of them. I took art history class after aft history class, but art history wasn’t “serious academics”  -- so I didn’t take it seriously, either.

Fast forward 38 years to an oil painting class at the Valley Art Center in Chagrin. My girlfriends talked me into it; I just wanted to hang out with them. But with my first painting I was a goner. Entranced, intrigued, enthralled, inspired, enamored, Intimidated, intoxicated. I fell in love and I haven’t been the same since.

I’ve been painting a little over two years now. Every painting is a journey of feeling and expression. I paint primarily with a palette knife. I love lots of paint on the canvas, love the way the colors move and shift under the knife. I try to capture light, motion and moments filled with emotion. To my eye, the ordinary is extraordinary.

I have earned my living as a writer for over thirty-five years. Words have always been my playthings. But I can’t tell how truly grateful I am to have traded them for tubes of paint and a doorway to the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment